What is Lingua Classica about?
Lingua Classica was created to develop software to assist in the learning of classical languages, Latin and
ancient Greek. This is a labor of love but it is rooted in the quite serious purpose of keeping alive the
classical foundations of Western culture.
We also offer adaptations of our classical-language learning tools for use in learning modern languages.
We anticipate creating other adaptations to help in learning classical languages in other cultural traditions,
beginning with Sanskrit.
Why learn Classical languages?
Chances are that, if you have found your way to this page, you have your own answers to the question. Here
Who are we?
- Above all, the foundations of Western culture reside in Classical literature. Our values, our understanding
of human nature and the ideas and categories that shape our understanding of reality itself all reside there.
And translation can never be adequate to full understanding of this literature.
- Learning highly inflected languages compels understanding of the mechanics of language. This enriches both
comprehension and expression in our mother tongue and makes it much easier to learn other languages.
- The ability to read Latin and ancient Greek documents in the original is essential to many people engaged
in the study of history, in archaeology, in Bible studies and other academic pursuits.
- Learning Classical languages builds mental discipline and mental habits that can be of benefit in unrelated
professions, including law and accounting.
- a product owner/project architect with extensive experience in learning to read other languages to the level
of professional competence, with an enthusiasm for classical languages, and with clear ideas on how computer software
can be used to help in learning to read highly inflected languages; and
- a team of experienced software developers who have generously given their talents, skills and time to translating these
ideas into reliable software built to a professional standard.
Lingua Classica has been organized as a business, registered in the province of Ontario, Canada, as an
alternative to seeking grants or donations and to the accounting headaches of not-for-profit status. Initially,
we thought to sell tools at the retail level. The income from this proved inadequate even to support the modest
cost of hosting our sites. We have therefore redirected our efforts toward developing tools for use by educational
institutions. It is not our purpose to rake in profits but to provide services to support classical-language learning
and make enough money to cover continuing costs.
170 Minto Place
Ottawa, Ontario K1M 0B7
email/Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org